Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Run the Coast: 500 miles for Juvenile Diabetes


Run the Coast?
So what's this all about Jerry?
Well...let me explain in a little more detail.
I became interested in an urban point to point run when a Facebook friend, Christrian Griffith, starting loosely organizing "Run Across Georgia". Upon his announcement to host such an event in April 2010, I immediately joined the FB group and told him I was interested. Then I became jaded by the idea due to the Colorado winter and significant difficulty in preparing for such an event through the Colorado snow. And, even though I started to give up on running across Georgia, I remained interested in such an event.
Next, I met Andy Holder "Iron Andy" at Ironman Louisville. "Iron Andy", as he's known, started the "Iron Andy Foundation" after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in his late 30s. Diabetes had always been my target for charity work....and Andy's foundation seemed to be the perfect fit for my efforts. At the time, I had no specific charity for which to support. My personal connection to diabetes is, of course, my wife Jenifer (a type 1 diabetic) and several of my family members who also have diabetes. Just this past summer, my older brother Jeff was also diagnosed with diabetes.
Andy I and I spoke briefly about ultramarathon and my interest in helping his foundation. We then spoke again several weeks after Ironman Louisville. This time, I had an idea for supporting the Iron Andy Foundation. How about a 500 mile run?
The idea of a 500 mile run came from a disussion I had with my training partner, Jason Chilson. Jason was new to ultrarunning at the time and I had been working with him on developing his endurance skills. So, I threw the idea to Andy and he showed interest in the idea. It seemed that the run provided some framework for which to promote the Iron Andy Foundation, raise money for juvenile diabetes, and inspire people to live a healthy lifestyle. Within a week, Jason and I had come up with "Run the Coast".
With over 12 months left to prepare and train for Run The Coast, we are moving forward with enthusiasm and high hopes. This basic idea is this:
Jason and I will start our run from the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. We will run/walk 40-50 miles per day, moving down the coastline of California.
Along our route, we will allow fellow distance runners to join us. We anticipate a few die-hard runners, that will put in longer mileage......100-200 miles. For the most part, however, I expect fellow runners to spend the day or half a day running 25-50 miles. And, I also would enjoy having people join us for just a few miles as well. For us, it does not matter whether someone wants to run all day or not.....just that we have other runners out there with us, having run, and supporting the Iron Andy Foundation. And for what it's worth...our running pace will likely be much slower than those that are joining us!
Non-runners can also help us. I anticipate needing about 12 volunteer coordinators, who can assist with communication and organizing aid stations. I will keep the coordination close to my friends and family......and ask those closest to me for assistance. Having said that, I would greatly appreciate anyone's interest in helping us....whether it be for a day, week, or two weeks. This run is about having fun and helping support kids with diabetes. This run WILL do great things.....so I believe it is a worthy cause for which to spend your time and/or money. Please send me a direct email if you wish to be an area coordinator, volunteer, crew member, etc... And thank you in advance for offering your time. endurancejer@gmail.com
Over the next 6 months or so, we will be working on finding corporate sponsors and developing communication infrastructure for Run the Coast. The exact route, dates, and stop-off locations are yet to be determined. Unfortunately, this is not an event which can be off-the-cuff. We have to plan and organize.....and it will take AT LEAST the full year to do so. For now, we will be sending out most information through our Facebook Group "Run The Coast".
We hope you can join us next year for Run The Coast!
-Jerry

1 comment:

Mario Lacerda said...

Hello Jerry,
Congratulations...this is a wonderful cause....

My best to you all...

Say hello to Pat and Cingeeee


Dr. Mario Lacerda
Brazil 135 Ultramarathon
Race Director