Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Full-Time Dad, Part-Time Athlete; Ultraman 2010

Ultraman is one of my lifetime endurance goals. Although I am an ultrarunner at heart, I can't help but be absolutely fascinated by the idea of traveling to Hawaii or Canada for this:

Day 1: 6.2 mile ocean swim/90 mile bike
Day 2: 170 mile bike
Day 3: 52.4 mile run (double marathon)

I would not compete in races if I was all alone. I don't enjoy traveling to races alone or competing alone. In fact, I hate it. For me, it is the shared memories and adventure of teamwork in the outdoors. Sure, I can complete difficult events.....but who would understand what I went through or what was so funny about random things like the "Banana at mile 72". Nobody would understand if I didn't bring family and friends into the ridiculous and wonderful world of endurance sports.

So Ultraman strikes my fancy on so many levels. You have to have the endurance resume....the luck of the application selection (only 35 get selected per year) and the money/time-off. Oh yeah, you have to train your ass off too.

I want to make a serious bid for selection to Ultraman 2010. In order to do that, I will have to round out my triathlon resume for 2009. So, the balance must begin.........Full-time dad, Part-Time Athlete.

My son, Jalen, turns 3 years old this month. I refuse to call him an obstacle for my personal goal of getting to Ultraman. He is merely, "a challenge". Since I must share equally the resposibility of caring for Jalen...the event takes on new meaning.

You may not have noticed, but many ultra-endurance athletes are single or retired. Many do not have children. And those on the podium rarely have to rush home to prepare PBJs for their toddler. At the same time, I wish to acknowledge ultra-endurance athletes who still manage to work full-time and compete in these events. In fact, race directors should probably create a special division for us.

Excuses are everywhere and I can think of a thousand reasons to ignore my personal goals. But yesterday I resolved to move toward Ultraman...one PBJ at a time.

For what it's worth, I'll let you all know how it goes. Gotta go... Jalen just laid down for a nap and I have to squeeze in 40 miles on the indoor trainer.

-Jerry (Jalen's dad)

No comments: