Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Runner at Masters Swimming


When I started competing in triathlon 6 years ago, I considered the swim to be nothing more than something that provided a starting position for the 'real race'. As I increased the race distances and headed toward my first Ironman, I ignored proper swim training as well. I trained for swimming much like I would for an ultramarathon....long, slow, mileage.




Shortly thereafter, I met and became friends with Cindy Yankee (a two-time All American and high school swim coach). Cindy encouraged me to improve my swim stroke and we started training irregularly. Basically, I would apply myself to swimming when I was injured or not preparing for an ultra. Cindy knew my heart was with distance trail running but she still chipped away at my swim stroke and built a foundation that provided me better efficiency to this day.




To give you some idea of how my swimming compared to the others during a race...I submit this...




At Ironman Arizona 2006, I exited the water 1,050th. Since there are approximately 2,000 athletes in the event, I was basically right in the middle. I thew myself into the bike leg and began passing other athletes over the next 5 hours. I was only passed ONCE. I passed over 700 people on the bike leg. I then began the run and passed more. I climbed from that initial placement after the swim to about 316th.




One might argue that my cycling/running is strong. Well, I'm here to say that it was the weak swimming that makes it seem that way.


Two months ago, I finally decided to join masters swimming. I had read several times that masters swimming was the best way to improve. Looking back, I'm glad I did. Twice a week, I attend the coached swim training in Boulder. The swim training is consistent with other masters training groups in other states and cities around the U.S.


The coach placed me amongst other swimmers of approximately the same level. Each week, I show up ready for the daily workout. We usually start with a few laps for warm-up. The session is then presented and shown on dry erase boards. The pool is reserved for the hour, so we only have to organize from within the group. Each lane swims 'in circle', which means you swim the first length on the right, flip turn, and return on the left. By leaving the wall about 4-5 seconds apart, as many as 6 or 8 swimmers can use the lane simulaneously. The other athletes are friendly and supportive. It has a 'team' feel even though we are all training for something different.


Over the past couple months, I have seen my swimming strength improve. I don't become as winded during the 1hr workouts. On my own, I have done several 500yd time trials and realized about 30 seconds less for 500yds.


The advice I was given long ago is what I present to other aspiring triathletes....Focus your time and energy on your weakest sport. For me, that was swimming, but I am now looking forward to my first triathlon of the year when I can capitalize on this focused improvement. Also, remember that triathlon is a sport in and of itself. Do not consider triathlon to be three different sports........they transition and meld together. Combine your workouts and focus on the aspect of the sport that slows you down in races.


Enjoy the day.


Jerry

No comments: